Monday, December 15, 2008

What a humbling month.

Christmas 2006 I love this photo!

I have had a really hard time getting into the spirit of Christmas this year. I kept trying to figure out if it is the lack of snow, or the lack of ideas for gifts for everyone. My kids Christmas list's are short, sweet and simple. Abell wants hunting items, Hagen wants basketball cards, Addi wants pixo's and a bike with a kick stand, and Breeley wants a Snow White Dress and new Snow White slippers/shoes because the ones she had got broken. I have been searching for something fun to get them that will make their eyes sparkle on Christmas morning but I haven't found a thing!

Then tragedy struck. Two of my brothers live in Craig Colorado for their jobs. Since their work requires them to travel they decided to rent a house together so their wives and kids can be together while the men are at work. Well last Wednesday night the chimney for the wood burning stove that they use to heat the house caught on fire and part of the house burned down. Everyone in the family and the pets were able to get out safely, but what was not burned has been destroyed by smoke and water. They have nothing!

Then one of my sassy scrapping sisters Laura lost her baby Ella at 32 weeks along. She had to have the baby and go home without a baby in her arms. It breaks my heart to think of the pain that she is and will go through.

So I have been worrying all month about finding the Christmas feeling and I have finally found it. I am so blessed. Adam and I have a nice house and two cars. We have oodles of warmth from our furnace. My children have tons of clothes. We have a washer and dryer to do laundry. I even get to do the laundry during the day since I get to stay home with our children. We just are so lucky to have happy healthy kids and a warm house.

Instead of thinking of about the craziness of Christmas, I am trying to think of ways that I can help my brothers and my friend. I don't have a lot of money or items to give them, but I think we as a family can find a way to serve them, and I think it will be a great experience! It will help us all to have the true feeling of Christmas!

4 comments:

Jen said...

This is why I love you Deanna!

Jen said...

Opps, it posted without me finishing...

You are such a wonderful person. I hope the best for your brothers and their families - wow, I cannot imagine.

The Simonson Family said...

Deanna, That makes me sad for your brother's and for your friend. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for your brothers. I mean you guys have a great family and I am sure they will all be there for them, but please let us know if we can do anything!

Amy Spalding said...

Things like that really do make you feel blessed, sometimes in excess! By the way, I LOVE your family pictures! Who took them?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...